Re: Debian XSF SVN to git migration

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 09:52:56PM -0500, David Nusinow wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 02:32:48PM +0100, Thierry Reding wrote:
> > First of all is the question of the repository layout. What was clear from
> > the start is that we'd like to mirror the directory structure from upstream.
> > The second issue is what to do with the upstream sources. So far the
> > alternatives we've been discussing are 1) having selected upstream branches
> > cloned into our repositories and 2) leaving it up to the packager to use
> > upstream branches in their local clones of the Debian repositories. Does any
> > of these alternatives have a significant advantage over the other? Is there
> > perhaps a different approach that would work even better?
>
> To me, the most important thing is consistency. Having to do two or three
> different things depending on the packager is just going to be an
> irritating barrier to getting anything done, especially if we want to
> attract new people. From my experience, we definitely want to keep
> attracting people.

<snip blah blah blah stuff>

Ok, after talking to several people, I think we've settled on a good option
that allows the flexibility we're all after. I've taken a first stab at
documenting it on the wiki: http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/git-usage

By separating the packaging and the upstream source, and then merging them
to actually build the package, we gain pretty much all the flexibility we
want at the cost of a small amount of complexity. It also makes it easy to
just pull changes, which is really the model of development that git is set
up for. Please reply, if for nothing else, to give your approval, so I can
feel comfortable pushing ahead with the move :-)

 - David Nusinow