Re: upstream sources in long description [Was: X Strike Force X.Org X11 SVN commit: r4095 - trunk/lib/libxcomposite/debian]

Drew Parsons wrote:
>> +  * Update location of upstream repository from CVS to git in the long
>> +    descriptions.
>
> I'm thinking it would be appropriate to remove these locations from the
> long descriptions altogether.  They can be kept up to date in the
> Debian copyright files, of course.
>
> What do others think?

I think that the repository URLs should move to the new XS-Vcs-Git control
field (in the first, source stanza of debian/control).  This allows software
to obtain this URL programmatically; for example, the Package Tracking System
will show the repository URL in its interface.  We could then drop the
repository URLs from the descriptions.  Jamey and I did exactly this for the
libx11 packages.

On the other hand, I think we should keep the user-targeted URLs for the Xorg
homepage and mailing list in the Description, just as many other packages
include the homepage of the software they conain.

- Josh Triplett