Re: compiz packages

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 17:28 +0200, Thierry Reding wrote:
> * Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 10:48 +0200, Thierry Reding wrote:
> > >
> > >   26_offscreen-pixmaps.diff:
> > >     Not applied upstream. It seems to disables all offscreen pixmaps. Option
> > >     "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" works just as well, but there may be more involved.
> >
> > The patch only disables offscreen pixmaps when the
> > GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap extension is first used, so it's probably an
> > improvement for people switching between GLX compositing managers and
> > other means of presentation. However, I wonder if this works with EXA.
> > It doesn't seem to check that XAA is actually active, and I suspect it's
> > basically luck if the XAA functions don't crash when it's not. This
> > needs clarifying before the patch can be applied.
>
> I would be willing to do some testing, but I'm unsure as to where to start.

Just fire up the X server with EXA and start compiz, basically.

> In addition, I only have an Intel 855GM card to test on, and IIRC, EXA for
> the i810 driver wasn't very stable last time I checked.

It's stable IME, although slow, but that shouldn't matter for this.
YMMV.

Anyway, Shawn said on IRC:

        oh, and EXA causes X server to die when compiz is started :)

which matches my expected failure mode of this patch: it tries to
reference XAA symbols, which are unresolved because XAA isn't loaded, so
the X server is aborted immediately.

> > > The only problem remaining is that the version of Mesa currently in
> > > experimental is not recent enough for compiz to work correctly.
> >
> > I think we should go with the 6.5.1 release anyway.
>
> That was going to be next on my checklist. Try and build with Mesa 6.5.1, but
> I think Shawn already tried that and it still needed some patching to work
> correctly, but I'll double-check.

Well, I'm not aware of any changes since the last release candidate that
would affect this...

> P.S.: no need to Cc: me, I'm subscribed to the list.

Whatever.