Re: compiz packages

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 10:48 +0200, Thierry Reding wrote:

>   20_dont-backfill-bg-none.diff:
>     Not applied upstream, but probably just an optimization.

[...]

>   26_offscreen-pixmaps.diff:
>     Not applied upstream. It seems to disables all offscreen pixmaps. Option
>     "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" works just as well, but there may be more involved.

The patch only disables offscreen pixmaps when the
GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap extension is first used, so it's probably an
improvement for people switching between GLX compositing managers and
other means of presentation. However, I wonder if this works with EXA.
It doesn't seem to check that XAA is actually active, and I suspect it's
basically luck if the XAA functions don't crash when it's not. This
needs clarifying before the patch can be applied.

>   28_no-move-damage.diff:
>     Not applied upstream, probably just an optimization. Kristian comments
>     about why this patch is useful.

Can you check with him why he hasn't pushed it upstream yet? Last I
heard it had some semantic issues IIRC. The same may be true about patch
20 I suspect.

> In summary, patches 25 and 27 are essential to make the xserver build.

... with a current Mesa snapshot?

> Patch 23 is also more or less necessary, because otherwise X is unusable after
> switching to the console and back.

Indeed. Without this patch, AIGLX should definitely be disabled by
default for etch. With this patch (or whatever ends up getting applied
upstream), we could leave it enabled by default for now and wait for bug
reports once it's in sid or even testing.

> Finally I think it'd be safe to also add patches 21, 22 and 24 since they have
> already been applied to upstream git, and especially 21 dramatically increases
> rendering speed.

I agree. These patches should have very low if any impact outside of
AIGLX.

> The only problem remaining is that the version of Mesa currently in
> experimental is not recent enough for compiz to work correctly.

I think we should go with the 6.5.1 release anyway.