Re: compiz packages

* David Nusinow wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 11:37:57PM +0200, Thierry Reding wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've been working on getting compiz to work for the past few days. So far
> > I've only been able to successfully build it, using a fresh checkout of the
> > git repository at freedesktop.org[1].
>
> I haven't looked at it in detail yet, so I can't offer more than to say
> please keep it up!

I finally got compiz to work on AIGLX. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to
successfully get compiz to work with the version of Mesa in experimental.
Everything builds fine, but Mesa itself is missing some patches, which have
only been committed after March 24 and which are needed to make compiz work.

I've been using latest Mesa from[1], which should be latest HEAD from CVS
with a bit of a lag. That latest Mesa also needs an updated libdrm
(>= 2.0.2), which is available from here[2].

The xserver that I'm running compiz on is basically the same as the one from
experimental (1.1.1-5) plus some additional patches by Kristian Høgsberg
(patches taken directly from the Fedora source RPM).

Finally, compiz is also from latest git[3]. It also needs Kristian's patches
that are in Fedora.

To make things easy for testing, I've uploaded the source packages that I've
used to build the binaries I'm running to my website[4]. Everyone interested
is more than welcome to grab them and test away. Packages need to be built in
this order: libdrm, mesa, xorg-server and compiz.

[1]: git://people.freedesktop.org/~krh/mesa
[2]: http://dri.freedesktop.org/libdrm/
[3]: git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/app/compiz
[4]: http://www.gilfi.de/debian

> I think I forgot to offer you commit access in the past, but if you want it
> for this or whatever else, just write Branden with a public ssh key.

I was thinking I could maybe put all this onto the pkg-xorg website for wider
ability. I've also been playing with using git for packaging purposes, so
maybe access to the pkg-xorg group would be better for what I'm doing.
Right now it's nothing essential, though.

> Thanks for tackling this.
>
>  - David Nusinow

I'm very glad I finally got this to work. I hope we can somehow get this into
Debian official, but I'm not sure how yet. From what I've read, some of the
patches Kristian made to the xserver are unlikely to be pushed upstream, so
it might be wiser to provide a separate package for the compiz/AIGLX server,
if at all. Keeping the server in xserver-xorg-core patched doesn't seem the
proper way.

- Thierry Reding