Re: svn management, git, etc

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 07:53:13AM +0300, Daniel Stone wrote:
> Oh, if you're committing it anyway, then that works too, but if you have
> it in git, then given that all you need is 'git push origin' (to push
> everything), or whatever, then the barrier to entry for you is lowered a
> great deal, and the barrier to entry to us finding out exactly what
> Debian's done (I'm obviously comfortable dissecting Debian packages,
> others are not) is also lowered a great deal.

Right... the main reason Branden used to give me for keeping the patches
all in svn was that it was easy for upstream to figure out what we were
doing. A simple svn diff of the two URL's would do it.

In practice, keeping the quilt stuff constantly applied was sort of a pain
so I didn't do it although I did attempt it for a few days. That was the
other reason that, quite frankly, I forgot about in favor of keeping the
vendor branches around. Apparently we haven't been using them the way
they're meant to be used. That's fine by me though, at this stage. I'd
honestly rather keep it all in quilt and chuck the vendor branches (I'll
make a firm decision after the weekend on this so that anyone who wants to
weigh in has time).

 - David Nusinow