Re: svn management, git, etc

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 04:14:33PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 15:40 +0300, Daniel Stone wrote:
> >
> > If the eventual goal is to get all the patches merged upstream -- and I
> > really hope it is -- then tracking git makes this infinitely easier, and
> > infinitely more appealing from both sides to do so.
>
> +1
>
> It should simplify maintenance in general, e.g. we could just have
> copies of the upstream repos with branches for the Debian packaging.

If I understand correctly, we'd initially clone the upstream repo and keep
pulling that repo. Then we have separate debian (maybe deb_unstable,
deb_experimental, etc) branches for our own work. To update to a new
version from those branches, we update our cloned master branch, checkout
the debian branch of interest, and pull the changes and we magically have
the new upstream version. Is this correct?

If I'm right, this is a whole lot easier than the current method, which is
a hassle and includes juggling a lot of different paths in the svn repo.

 - David Nusinow