Re: libx11 1.0.3 and nls patches

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 03:15:01PM -0400, David Nusinow wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
>    This mail is primarily for Denis, but anyone who knows more about the
> localization aspects of libx11 than I do (which is just about everyone)
> should feel free to weigh in. We've got a lot of very heavyweight patches
> to libx11 that we're carrying around. I can push them to upstream so we
> don't have to maintain them ourselves, but they need to be updated so they
> apply cleanly.
>
>    Many of them are fairly old and I don't know if they're obsolete or what.
> Denis, if you could have a look at the patches in branches/7.1/libx11/debian/
> patches and let me know which can be tossed and which need updating, that'd
> be great. If you could possibly update them so I can push them too, that'd
> be fantastic. I can update them myself, but I really don't know much about
> the locale stuff, and several of the changes to the upstream data files
> make me uneasy about simply porting the patches. If you're busy, a push off
> in the right direction would be very helpful too.

Here is a brief overview of these patches:
 * 003_recognize_glibc_2.3.2_locale_names.diff
   This patch is pretty annoying, one has to modify X11 locale files
   each time a new locale is added into glibc.  It would be great if
   X11 had a fallback based on current charset, so that most locales
   have good defaults and do not have to be specifically taken into
   account.  But I do not know X11 internals and cannot tell if it
   could work.
   Anyway this patch applies cleanly, so I did not touch it for now.

 * 004_en_US.UTF-8_Compose_fix_Unicode_plane_1.diff
   Up-to-date, should be pushed upstream.

 * 005_Compose_fix_latin1_UTF8.diff
   Updated, should be pushed upstream.  IIRC comments were taken
   from XEmacs mailing list, but I cannot find the exact message,
   it was something along
    http://list-archive.xemacs.org/xemacs-beta/200505/msg00113.html

 * 006_tailor_pt_BR.UTF-8_Compose.diff
   Updated, should be pushed upstream (and better yet, put locale path
   into nls/pt_BR.UTF-8/Compose.pre at compile time)

 * 007_iso8859-15_Compose_fix.diff
 * 008_remove_ko_Compose.diff
 * 012_ru_RU_UTF-8_XLC_LOCALE.diff
   I will check these 3 patches later.  Eugene could surely tell more
   about the last one,  IIRC he made this patch.

 * 009_iso8859-15_Compose_Eurosign.diff
   Should certainly be pushed upstream.

 * 011_stolen_from_ubuntu_xlocalelibdir.diff
   Seems to have been merged upstream.

Denis