Re: Annoying warning note in fresh installs

On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 09:49:04PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> I was today testing the fresh install of Etch with the desktop task
> (D-I related work) and I have been very surprised to see the warning
> note about "possible problems during the major upgrade".
>
> I seem to remember reading Steve Langasek mentioning this, but this is
> something that definitely should go away, at least on fresh
> installs..:-)

Right, I don't like it but I don't have a clean fix for it yet. The reason
being that x11-common didn't exist in sarge so I can't simply check for an
upgrade. Ideally I would look for  xserver-common being on the system and
put the note up in that case, but that package should be removed prior to
x11-common's preinst being run due to the conflicts line. Maybe just
checking for libx11 would get around it.

Alternately, I think joeyh suggested looking for a running X server for the
fix (that may be for a different bug though) but I don't think that's an
optimal solution for this problem. Fundamentally, I need to check to see
exactly what's in the sarge X packages to find out what we could look for.

 - David Nusinow