Re: adding ddccontrol to debian

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 12:46:08AM +0200, Fabrice Lorrain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the last 5 months, I encountered twice LCD flat screens without
> hardware control or with half functionnal hardware control.
>
> The proper way to configure those screens was with software through the
> ddc protocol. The only software I'm aware of working under linux is
> ddccontrol [1] which is not in sid yet.
>
> Bored DD's might take some pleasure to warm the current frozen ITP [2].
> Users eyes might bless your name for that in the etch time.
>
> @+,
> 	Fab
>
> [1] http://ddccontrol.sourceforge.net/
> [2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=322774

Imho there should be an X implementation of this:
* driver side should be possible entirely from within the ddc module:
the ddc module could probe and initialise the ddci slave address for the
driver when handed the I2C bus for ddc and could handle everything else
from there.
* most work will be in the actual utility and the backend used for that.
But then, mode related control is very much unchartered territory for X.

Luc Verhaegen.