Re: broken dev packages / removal of *.la files

> On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 06:57:39AM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> with the latest uploads, all *.la files have been removed from the X
>> *-dev packages. Yet there are still many non X dev packages out there,
>> that ship *.la files that reference these files, e.g. libkdecore.la from
>> kdelibs4-dev has libXrender.la as a dependency lib. This breaks the
>> compilation of a lot of packages, virtually every KDE app.
>> On my machine, a quick grep reveals this, certainly not complete, list
>> of -dev packages with references on either libXrender.la or libXcursor.la:
>>
>> kdebase-dev
>> kdelibs4-dev
>> libavahi-qt3-dev
>> libbonoboui2-dev
>> libcairo2-dev
>> libcvsservice-dev
>> libeel2-dev
>> libgail-dev
>> libgnomecanvas2-dev
>> libgnome-desktop-dev
>> libgnomeprintui2.2-dev
>> libgnomeui-dev
>> libgtk2.0-dev
>> libgtkglext1-dev
>> libnautilus-extension-dev
>> libnotify-dev
>> libpanel-applet2-dev
>> libpango1.0-dev
>> librsvg2-dev
>> libwnck-dev
>>
>> Should we schedule binNMUs for all these packages or how do you intend
>> to handle this matter?
>
> Yes, please do binNMU's. If necessary I can re-add the .la files, but I'd
> rather just do the transition now and get it over with, especially since it
> requires a minimal amount of manual labor.

Unfortunately I can't schedule the binNMUs, as I'm not a DD yet, so I
CCed Steve, maybe he can look into this.
Besides, it's not so simple.
The problem is, that these -dev packages (especially the Gnome ones)
build on top of each other so they have to be built in the correct order.
Looking at the build deps I tried to determine the correct order, in
which they have to be built (packages in one line can be scheduled at
the same time). Al listed -dev package reference either libXcursor.la or
libXrender.la in one of their *.la files. I tried to schedule them ASAP:

<<<<

libqt4-dev (no binNMU: remove from build-dep: xlibs-static-dev,
libqt4-dev: xlibs-static-pic, package maintainer informed, fixed package
on its way)

libavahi-qt3-dev

kdelibs4-dev (have to verify that it builds without modifications, takes
some time to build...)

kdebase-dev

<<<<

libcairo2-dev

libpango1.0-dev

libgtk2.0-dev (Remove "xlibs-static-pic | xlibs-pic (>=4.2.1-6)" from
build-dep, no binNMU), lesstif2-dev

libnotify-dev/libwnck-dev/libgnomecanvas2-dev/libgtkglext1-dev

libbonoboui2-dev/libgail-dev

libgnomeui-dev/libgnomeprintui2.2-dev

libgnome-desktop-dev/libedataserverui1.2-dev/librsvg2-dev

libpanel-applet2-dev/libeel2-dev

libnautilus-extension-dev

I checked all the packages in pbuilder, if the deps are fine and if they
need modifications.
There are surely more -dev packages, which had to be rebuilt. I
just looked at the ones installed on my local machine (+ the build
dependencies). You see, it needs some coordination to build the packages
in the right order, apply the necessary changes and make sure the
package maintainers work together with us to complete this transition.
As libqt4-dev is on its way already, we should start with a binNMU for
libcairo-dev first. After that libpango1.0-dev and libavahi-qt3-dev can
follow (avahi build-deps on gtk too, but we don't need to wait for an
updated libgtk2.0-dev as it doesn't affect the resulting qt3-dev package).
The next step would care for the two most important packages, kdelibs
and gtk+2.0. kdelibs can be binNMUed and for gtk+2.0 I would contact the
maintainer and send him the necessary patch.
Does that plan sound resonable?

Cheers,
Michael

P.S.: Please CC me on replies, I'm not subscribed to debian-x.