Re: My Plan For Uploading Modular To Unstable

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 02:50:07AM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 20:41 -0500, David Nusinow wrote:
> >
> > > I have a question about general xorg7 version policy.  Will you
> > > generally be supplying the last "stable" release (7.0 at the moment, right?)
> > > to Debian unstable, or do you plan to upload xorg cvs?
> >
> > I haven't fully decided. Currently in experimental there's 7.0+, which is
> > all of 7.0 plus the individual components that upstream has currently
> > decided to release since (i810, libxkbfile, etc). I may put some CVS stuff
> > in to unstable if it seems prudent. The ati driver looks like a good
> > candidate right now for example due to benh's fixes, even if it requires an
> > updated server.
>
> ati-1-0-branch doesn't. :)

Right, I keep forgetting about that. I need to just pull it. It'd be a lot
easier if ben made tarball releases though :-)

> > I'd like to stick with what upstream deems stable though for the most part.
>
> Indeed, I think in the long run we should track individual module
> releases in sid and CVS snapshots as desirable in experimental, modulo
> incompatibilities.

Right, that's my basic plan. I'm not sure how closely I'll track CVS for
experimental. My current plan is to do it in a goal-oriented fashion. The
current goal being: provide Xgl, AIGLX, and Xephyr packages. Having
something tangible to work towards in experimental will prevent us from
just focusing on chasing upstream.

 - David Nusinow