The tangled libgl-dev web

Hi debian-x,

I'd like to change a build-depend for an unofficial package of mine
(geant4 -- unofficial for now because it has licensing issues) from
xlibmesa-gl-dev to libgl1-mesa-dev since the former is apparently being
deprecated.  Here's the issue:

# apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dev
  libdrm2 libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx mesa-common-dev
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  x-window-system-core xlibmesa-dri xlibmesa-gl xlibmesa-gl-dev

Why will x-window-system-core be removed?  Well, apparently it Depends
specifically on xlibmesa-dri.  On the other hand, libgl1-mesa-dev
Depends on both libgl1-mesa-glx and libgl1-mesa-dri.  libgl1-mesa-dri
Conflicts with xlibmesa-dri.

This seems to me like a bug in the dependencies of either
libgl1-mesa-dev or x-window-system-core.  The latter is an important
metapackage that I don't think should be forced off the system just
because a new development package is installed.  In particular, Geant 4
is itself a set of libraries that its users will want to install
development packages of, and its -dev packages must therefore be
migrated to depend on libgl1-mesa-dev.  Users will be confused when they
try to install geant4 and end up without x-window-system-core.

Thoughts?  I suggest that either x-window-system-core Depend upon
"xlibmesa-dri | libgl1-mesa-dri", or else that libgl1-mesa-dev NOT
Depend upon libgl1-mesa-dri (just as xlibmesa-gl-dev does NOT Depend
upon xlibmesa-dri).

Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to this list.  Let me know if you'd
like me to submit this as a formal bug.  (against which package?)

P.S. For more fun, if I have libgl1-mesa-dev (and therefore
mesa-common-dev) installed, and then try to reinstall xlibmesa-gl-dev,
the following happens:

Unpacking xlibmesa-gl-dev (from
.../xlibmesa-gl-dev_6.9.0.dfsg.1-4_i386.deb) ...dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/xlibmesa-gl-dev_6.9.0.dfsg.1-4_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/include/GL/glext.h', which is also in package
mesa-common-dev

so there seems to be a missing Conflicts/Replaces between
xlibmesa-gl-dev and mesa-common-dev packages.  Shall I file this as
another bug?  (against which package?)

regards,

- --