Re: update-alternatives and window-manager and display-manager

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 11:50 -0700, Marc Wilson wrote:

> > I think that * update-alternatives is a good facility
>
> It isn't, really.
IMHO it is.

> > * there should be a unified method for chosing window/desktop manager or
> > whatever, since it gives the users some chances to do things without much
> > pain, and make easy to document and learn how things works
>
> No, actually a user should never be messing with the alternatives system.
> Further, users don't need to know and shouldn't have to know how things
> work.
Ok, not the average user, but root. I don't think that Paolo wanted each
user on the system to be able to change things with update-alternatives,
I think with user he meant a person with Debian installed on his
workstation, so this user would in fact have root privileges.

> > So, is update-alternatives the standard method? If not which is the
> > standard method?
>
> The standard method is to actually launch the environment you want.  Gdm
> provides session files for this purpose, as does KDM.  Xdm uses your
> ~/.xsession file.
Thats right, but update-alternatives would be the right place to set the
default one (

just my 2¢
Marcel