Re: X Strike Force X.Org X11 SVN commit: r162 - trunk/debian/local

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 03:03:34PM -0500, X Strike Force SVN Repository Admin wrote:
> + Restore original documentation of how to restore automatic updates of the
>   configuration file, as Ubuntu's replacement assumed 1) unprivileged users
>   would be able to create files in /etc/X11 and 2) the optional "sudo"
>   package would be installed.

Thanks for the catch, but your instructions are still entirely
unnecessary.

How to restore your configuration and have it rewritten:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

> + Add extensive comments documenting Ubuntu kludges and my thoughts on how
>   to better solve the same problems.

> +# XXX: Kludge warning: This is used to bolt on an InputDevice section for a
> +# Synaptics touchpad.  This should be 1) moved to a debconf template; 2) made
> +# configurable; and 3) more specifically detected (so that the answer to the
> +# debconf question can be predetermined).  It's not dexconf's business to
> +# perform any hardware detection whatsoever.
> +#
> +# laptop-detect doesn't appear to be packaged for Debian, so this is a no-op for
> +# now.  See below for further caveats if/when this code comes alive.

laptop-detect is just a small shim around dmidecode, but detecting
Synaptics devices (they just leech off PS/2) is an incredibly hard
problem that the kernel's psmouse only just barely gets right.  Our
solution, which I still think is the best one, is to just throw the
synaptics driver at all laptops.  I haven't seen it get any false
positives and cause breakages.

> +if which laptop-detect >/dev/null 2>&1; then
> +  if laptop-detect >/dev/null 2>&1; then
> +    LAPTOP=true
> +  fi
> +fi

I now count one removal of this section, for two additions.

> +# XXX: This is some new template Ubuntu added.  Probably better solved by just
> +# making empty entries for sync ranges syntatically valid, as Sven Luther
> +# suggested.

No, not at all.  We avoid writing sync ranges whereever possible, so
u_s_r is a way for the postinst to tell Dexconf that it needs to write
out the sync ranges it has.

> +# XXX: Sync ranges kludge continued.  See "use_sync_ranges" above.

It's not a 'kludge', it's working around the braindead behaviour of
writing out sync ranges whereever possible.  Done, I dare say, in a
reasonably clean fashion.

> +# XXX: Hoo-ha.  Another awful kludge.  If this mode isn't defined upstream (or
> +# is defined wrongly) in either of
> +# xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/etc/{vesa,extra}modes, that should be patched.
> +# Furthermore, because everyone hates the limited mode selection list in the
> +# debconf template, we probably ought to generate it at package build time by
> +# grepping those files.

I agree.  However, I most certainly didn't author that change, and ISTR
its lineage coming back to XFree86.  (I've patched the {extra,vesa}modes
harder to include all known widescreen laptop resolutions.)

> (Of course, for laptop/flat panel users, what we really
> +# want to do is query the monitor from the X server's config script, and
> +# pre-answer the question with the display's native resolution so that people
> +# with a high question priority won't be blitzed with the truckload of modes
> +# that the aforementioned grep method would present them with.)

This is, um, what we've been doing since last October.

> -dexconf \- generate XFree86 X server configuration file from debconf data
> +dexconf \- generate XOrg or XFree86 X server configuration file from debconf data

Xorg (or X.Org), not XOrg.

> +The former is used by the
> +.BR XOrg (1x)

Ditto, but this is even worse because that manpage *does* *not* *exist*.

> +intended to replace a full\-featured X server configuration tool; that is the
> +province of
> +.BR xorgcfg (1x)
> +(for
> +.BR XOrg )
       ^^^^
Again.  Although xorgcfg is often less useful than the Debconfage, as
much as it is a crippled series of hacks which need to be taken out the
back and put down as soon as possible.