Re: request for volunteers: xfree86 woody, xfree86 sarge, and xorg-x11 uploaders

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 11:28 +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:

> I'm hoping my xprint won't be an unbearable thorn in Debian's Xorg
> side. I've been waiting to hear from upstream what the long term plans
> are for Xprint as a separate source from X.org, but haven't received
> any definite plans yet.

For myself, I consider Xprint a legacy solution to support applications
which require it but to push future application development to the cairo
+CUPS model which provides a modern drawing model, wider text layout
support and better printer interaction based on the nearly universally
(OS X, Windows, Linux) supported IPP printer protocol.

With announcements like last weeks cairo-based Mozilla port, and the
plans to migrate Gtk+ to the cairo API, it makes a lot of sense for
X.org to make sure that Xprint doesn't become wired into existing tools
in a way that makes it impossible to deprecate it at some point in the
future.

We had a similar issue with Xmu where this widely used library caused
unintentional dependency on the now deprecated Xt library.
Transitioning applications from Xmu to the subset Xmuu library still
hasn't happened, so many applications end up linking in Xt just because
they use some modest Xmu functionality.

In contrast, XIE and PEX were both easy to remove from distributions
because no standard (xdpyinfo, etc) applications referenced them.

> If it turns out that upstream favours consolidating the Xprint source
> only with the X.org, without the separate development that's happened
> till now at xprint.mozdev.org, then the logical thing would be for me
> to join the X Strike Force, with responsibility for the area that
> packages Xprint. But I figure we'll build that bridge when we come to
> it.

Modular X development may enable a greater separation between display
services and Xprint.

> > In the long run, of course, the monolithic sample implementation tree will
> > cease to exist.
>
> The curious thing here with regard to Xprint, is that upstream has been
> holding discussions with other X.org hackers over whether Xprint runs
> best as a stand-alone server, or whether a unified print+display server
> is a better idea. There are 3 alternatives:
> 1) separate servers (the current situation)
> 2) unified server run separate on different displays (one for video, one for print)
> 3) unified server, just the one running which handles both video and print requests.

Running a unified display/print service in the same address space seems
foolish to me; the display server requires tremendous priviledge while
the Xprint server communicates with many external applications and
should run with as limited a priviledge as possible.  This argues
strongly for separate processes.  Xprint also requires code inside the X
server which is not needed by a display server, making it unreasonable
to try to support both functions from the same binary images, which
indicates that we should use separate programs as well.

However, Xprint continues to share some source code with the display
server, which might seem to encourage integration of Xprint with the
display server source package.  The amount of shared code is modest, and
hasn't significantly changed (except for display-specific extensions) in
a number of years (Xprint supports X as of about 13 years ago), making
it less necessary to share.

> It's not clear yet which version X.org will end up with.  Version 2
> kind of makes sense to me, sharing as much code as possible between the
> different kinds of server. But Version 3 is being considered favourably.

We shouldn't let Roland Mainz and Sun Microsystems dictate the Debian
packaging architecture in this case; security and support considerations
encourage a wide separation in this case.

I would like to see a world where no Xprint packages needed to be loaded
on a machine which didn't have any Xprint services running.

-keith