Re: mesag3 <-> xlibmesa-gl / libgl1-mesa-dri <-> xlibmesa-dri / libglu1-mesa <-> libglu1-xorg

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 10:35:55PM -0400, Michel Dänzer wrote:

 > >  > Is this an attempt to smooth the transition from the xorg
 > >  > packages to the mesa ones and in the course of the X
 > >  > modularisation to get completely rid of the GL/GLU code in xorg
 > >  > (and the libgl*-xorg packages) and use mesa directly as an
 > >  > external library?  If there is such a transition how will it
 > >  > take place?
 > >
 > >  Not currently, or at least not one that I know of.
 >
 > X.Org will indeed no longer ship copies of the Mesa bits as of 7.0.
 > That'll be an automatic transition so to speak. :)

 For that to happen we just need to figure out how the drivers interact
 with each other (I mean the DRI bits in the X server with the
 client-side DRI bits shipped by Mesa 6.3).

 > >  2) Someone with the proper hardware should test the several
 > >     (there's at least 8 of them IIRC) drivers that ship inside the
 > >     -dri package with the current (6.8) and future (6.9, 7.0) x.org
 > >     server.
 >
 > I'll gladly test the r200 driver once it's built on powerpc and the
 > libgl1 issue mentioned above is solved.

 Can you just try the drivers?  I mean "dpkg -x" or something like that.
 I just need to know if they work fine with the current X server in
 unstable or if I need to wait for the 6.9 X server.

 The reason I ask this is because the mesa packages take some time to
 build (~ 30 minutes on my PC and I really don't want to know how long
 on other architectures), so I'd prefer to make as few uploads as
 possible.  I have already spotted a couple of problems with the -1
 release.

 SVN is svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-mesa/mesa/trunk and patches are
 most welcomed (BTS is easier, but my @d.o address should be fine).

 And since I've got your attention Michel, if you figure there's an
 optimization for PowerPC that actually has some visible impact, I'll be
 glad to include that, too.  Please read debian/README.build.

 I really wish I had a PowerPC where I could port the optimized T&L
 functions, PowerPC asm is *really* nice :-)

 That goes for the AMD64 folk, too.

 > And you've been doing a great job, keep it up. But if you could use a
 > helping hand, I wouldn't mind co-maintaining or something. No
 > request, just an offer.

 Since Mesa suddenly includes a lot more drivers that I can't test, I'd
 really appreciate even a heads up "it's working fine with <this
 hardware>".

 And co-maintaining is always welcomed.

--
Marcelo