xc/extras/rman in X.Org X11 is not DFSG-free (was: X Strike Force X.Org X11 SVN commit: r16 - trunk/debian)

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 06:41:37AM +0100, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:

> X Strike Force SVN Repository Admin wrote:
>
> | +    - xc/extras/rman (also non-free)
>
> is it only the code in X11 that is non-free?

I don't know that for sure, because X.Org X11 is still huge.

> because Debian still ships it in main..

I've heard that PolyglotMan (a.k.a. RosettaMan, a.k.a. rman) has been
relicensed under the Artistic License, but the copy in XFree86 and X.Org
X11 doesn't bear that license.  I have to go with the license it claims it
has.

    Copyright (c) 1993-1997 Regents of the University of California

    Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
    documentation for educational, research, internal corporate and
    non-profit purposes, without fee, and without a written agreement is
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    hereby granted for all cases that do not conflict with the restriction
    in the first sentence of this paragraph, provided that the above
    copyright notice, this paragraph, and the following three paragraphs
    appear in all copies.  [emphasis added]
[...] [1]

The above fails DFSG 6.[2]

[1] http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/svn/xorg-x11/vendor/xc/extras/rman/README-rman
[2] http://www.debian.org/social_contract

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Lowery's Law:
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    If it jams -- force it.  If it