Re: RFC: goals for xorg-x11 6.8.2-0pre1v1 upload to experimental

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 12:13:50PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> As those who follow this list and don't filter out the SVN commit messages
> are likely aware, I've created an SVN repository called "xorg-x11" and have
> started the work of packaging it.
>
> You'll notice some changes already, such as:
> * the entire upstream source tree (tagged XORG-6_8_2) has been imported
>   into the repository
> * I'm using features of modern (but still in sarge) versions of dpkg to
>   document the reasons for the package's Build-Dependencies.
>
> I have built X.Org X11 6.8.2 from source, checked out from the repository,
> in a clean sid chroot.  The packaging infrastructure is still pending.
>
> I'd like to solicit folks' opinions on:
>
> * What we should try to accomplish for the first upload to experimental;
> * What we shouldn't.

Well, the selfish little munchkin in me would love to say "netbsd port
support", but realistically, this would be a useless and insane requirement
for the first experimental release (now, as a *target*, well, that might be
different... but mostly is on my shoulders).

> (For the time being, I'd like to target experimental instead of unstable so
> that unstable is left open for any further updates to the xfree86 packages
> that may prove necessary.  Once xfree86 is actually officially frozen by
> the release managers, it may be time to revisit that consideration.)

I concur.

> Also, if some of you have a jones for working on X.Org X11 that you didn't
> have for working on XFree86, and would like to join the group of X Strike
> Force SVN committers, please get in touch with me.
>
> In other news, I have commit access to X.Org X11 CVS upstream (and I've
> even used it :) ).  I'd like to keep Debian's packages of X.Org X11 much
> closer to upstream than our XFree86 packages were to their upstream.
>
> Comments?

Not until I start digging around in the build system and figure out what's
going on with it. I expect that the "working on branches" policy is similar
to the other repositories? (Er... which I should refresh my memory of, as
well, but just making sure...)
--
Joel Aelwyn <fenton@debian.org>                                       ,''`.
                                                                     : :' :