Re: X Strike Force XFree86 SVN commit: r2185 - in trunk/debian: . local

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 05:17:18PM -0500, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 16:48 -0500, X Strike Force SVN Repository Admin
> >
> > +    <p>Try to reproduce the problem by running the troublesome application from
> > +    a shell prompt in a terminal window with the following environment variables
> > +    set:</p>
> > +    <pre>LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1; export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT
>
> Was this intended? This will force indirect rendering.

Yes, I intended this; part of the troubleshooting procedure is to see if
the problem can be reproduced with indirect rendering.

> > +    <p>If the problem is reproducible with indirect rendering, then there is
> > +    likely a problem with the GL library itself.
>
> Actually, more likely with the OpenGL/GLX implementation in the X
> server, i.e. in paractice, most likely in the Mesa code shared between
> the X server and the DRI 3D drivers.

Okay, I will update the FAQ accordingly.

> > +    <p>On the other hand, if the problem goes away when indirect rendering is
> > +    used, then one of the following is at fault:</p>
> > +    <ul>
> > +      <li>the hardware-neutral parts of DRI</li>
>
> Apparently, when it says 'hardware-neutral parts of DRI', it really
> means 'X server parts of the DRI' (which aren't necessarily
> hardware-neutral)?

Okay, I will update the FAQ accordingly.

> > +    <p>To rule out problems with the hardware-neutral parts of DRI, remove the
> > +    <code class="package">xlibmesa-dri</code> package if it is installed, and
> > +    disable the <code class="other">Load "dri"</code> line in your <code
> > +    class="filespec">/etc/X11/XF86Config-4</code> file.
>
> Only the latter is really required for this, the (non-)presence of the
> former doesn't matter if the DRI is disabled in the X server.

Okay, that simplifies the process for the user a bit.  I will update the
FAQ accordingly.

Thanks for the clue application!

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Religious bondage shackles and
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     debilitates the mind and unfits it