Re: Proposal on how to handle xorg include patches (WAS: Re: X Strike Force XOrg SVN commit: r28 - /)

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 09:20 +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:

> X Strike Force SVN Repository Admin wrote:
>
> | +|
> | +|-->  xorg-source-include                       -->  xorg-include
>
> Hi XSF,
> ~      as you might have noticed, we started (at low priority) working on
> X.org packages.

Great!

> Modularized tree (files are not patched coming from xorg-source-include):
>
> xc/include/libfoo/foo.h
> xc/include/libbar/bar.h
>
> lsdiff libfoo/debian/patch/XXXfix_foo_due_to_baz.diff
> ~ xc/include/libfoo/foo.h
>
> lsdiff libbar/debian/patch/XXXfix_bar_due_to_baz.diff
> ~ xc/include/libbar/bar.h
>
> (note that there might no be xc/include/libfoo at all)
>
> bang! now both libfoo and libbar either will not compile properly due to
> foo.h and bar.h not being patched at the same time or they will not work
> properly for the same reason.

I'm not sure this is really an issue at all. When a component moves to
its own module, it should have a more or less stable interface to other
modules. That interface should be preserved by any patches touching
several modules, so the parts for every module can really be considered
separate patches.

Of course, I may be missing something or simply have a misconception
about how the modularization is supposed to work...