Re: [Xprint] Re: X Strike Force XOrg SVN commit: r19 -inxorg/trunk/debian: . scripts

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 07:44:30AM +0200, Roland Mainz wrote:
> > |>|
> > |>|

> > | It should be archived either in the Debian-X mailinglist or in one of
> > | the xprt-xprintorg package bugs. Drew Parsons may remember the bugid...
> > | my email archive doesn't go that far into the past (I guess that issue
> > | was debated around 2002 or earlier).
> > |
> > | The point is that we are talking about the files which contain only
> > | width/height data (=metrics information) for each glphy and _no_ bitmap
> > | or outline data (the PMF files are pretty small - if they would contain
> > | bitmaps rasterizes at 2560DPI you would see GIANT files). The font data
> > | itself, e.g. outlines or bitmaps are copyrightable but the width and
> > | height information does not fall into the category - it would be silly
> > | as everyone who would want to write an application which generates
> > | Postscript code would need an explicit license from Adobe. _If_ Adobe
> > | would have copyrighted the metrics information no opensource application
> > | (Mozilla, Ghostscript, Openoffice, JAVA, etc.) would be able to use one
> > | of the 30 default Postscript fonts defined by Postscript Level 2 as
> > | there would be no way to measure&layout the glyphs (the same applies to
> > | applications which generate PDF files). For example Mozilla ships the
> > | same information stored in the PMF files as part of it's Postscript
> > | print module (see
> > | http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/gfx/src/ps/Courier-Bold.h , note
> > | that this source code is under MPL(=Mozilla Public License), the PMF
> > | files in the XOrg tree were donated by HP and Sun under the MIT license)
> > | and noone complained about that since many years (the same data were
> > | used in Netscape 4.x, too).
> >
> > Ok. I think you conviced me. I want to wait for Branden's opinion too
> > since he was the one creating these copyright notes and scripts for
> > removal of these files in the first place.
>
> OK.

I'd appreciate some precise references, please.  I don't remember this
issue being discussed on debian-x.

Your reasoning seems to be grounded on a couple of problematic premises:
* That font metric information isn't copyrightable.  This may be true in
  the United States, but one of the big reasons Debian still has a non-free
  section is because Adobe in Japan asserts copyright over just this sort
  of thing.  I will try to find this discussion in Debian's list archives
  if you're interested.
* No one's complained yet about people freely distributing these files, so
  they must be DFSG-free.  This premise is just plain bogus.  I don't think
  Debian can afford to get dragged to court and try to defend ourselves on
  fair use grounds (or by invoking the theory of laches, which is what you
  seem to be implying).

I am perfectly willing to be persuaded that these files are under a
DFSG-free copyright license, or are in the public domain, but in my view
you haven't made a convincing case yet.

Drew, do you have any recollections on this subject?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Life is what happens to you while
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     you're busy making other plans.