Re: Latest xserver-xfree86 not installable due to bad configlet

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 08:17:08AM -0700, Dave Carrigan wrote:
> I was doing my regular upgrade today and couldn't upgrade
> xserver-xfree86:
>
> Setting up xserver-xfree86 (4.3.0.dfsg.1-8) ...
> start_configlet: configlet in path /usr/share/configlets/localeconf is bad
> start_configlet: configlet in path /usr/share/configlets/xserver-common is bad
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/etc/configlet.d/configlet-frontends", line 314, in ?
>     save_configlet_list()
>   File "/etc/configlet.d/configlet-frontends", line 183, in save_configlet_list
>     configlet_list_file = open(configlet_list_filename, "w")
> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/cache/configlet-frontends/configlet-capplet.list'
>
> This looks like http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=263076,
> but there's nothing in the bug report that suggests a workaround or fix.
>
> I'm a little nervous about ending my X session in case it can't be
> restarted. Any suggestions?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you about this.

A real kludge of a workaround would be to modify the package's installed
postinst script to not die if update-configlets dies, and then tell dpkg to
configure the package again.

$ editor /var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xfree86.postinst
[go to the end of the file]
[change the line:
    update-configlets
 to:
    update-configlets || warn "update-configlets failed"
]
$ dpkg --configure --pending

Jeff Licquia has given me a patch to effectuate the migration to the new
python-gtk bindings.  I plan to apply that patch, or one much like it.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     It just seems to me that you are
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     willfully entering an arse-kicking