Re: Making debian package of X11R6.7 (or XFree86 4.4.0)?

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 02:31:40PM +0200, Patric Ljung wrote:
> I've downloaded and compiled X11R6.7 (and also XFree86 4.4.0).
> Then I installed Xorg (make install install.man). But, that
> of course results in problems with the Debian packages depending
> on X (xbase-common, xbase-clients, etc).
>
> Either I make a proper Debian package of X or setup a dummy
> package that pretends to provide everything needed.
>
> What would your suggestion be?
>
> In any way, it would be helpful to get a pointer to instructions
> on how to make X a Debian package. There shurely must be a package
> description for XFree86 4.3, could you help me find it?
>
> I've never made Debian packages before, so I'm a newbie, unfortunately.

X, of any variety, is a really bad package to start with.

> I'm running Debian sarge, kernel 2.6.5 on a Dell Inspiron 9100
> with an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 and am trying to get as much
> support for the M12 chip as possible.

The scope of your question is so broad that it would probably take weeks
to work through all the details.

The best terse advice I can offer is for you to run a Debian sarge or
sid system, "apt-get source xfree86", and study the source package.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     There is resilient security in
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     openness, and brittle security in