Re: XFree86: MIT-KERBEROS-5

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 03:41:20AM -0700, ms419@freezone.co.uk wrote:
> I gather that XFree86 for Debian is not compiled with Kerberos support?
[...]

Historical reasons and inertia.  Way back in the day, crypto wasn't in
main, and having XFree86 depend on libraries outside of non-us to build
and work would have meant putting XFree86 itself into non-us.

Since crypto has gone into main, the primary reason is lack of anyone
with the right combination of clues, will, and working patches.

> Before I go galloping off to recompile it, I should probably ask if
> this is appropriate? Why isn't  XFree86 available w/ Kerberos?

No good reason; please do engage in this experiment and report your
findings back to this list if you'd like.

I personally have no objection to including Kerberos support in XFree86,
and I doubt anyone else does either.  If they do, now's the time to
speak up.  :)

> I'm not the X guru I'd like to be ... I want to authorize xclients to
> connect to a remote xserver, provided they are run by the same person
> who's running the server. I have a working Kerberos setup and read
> about the "MIT-KERBEROS-5" security mechanism in the man pages. It's
> not like I've used this mechanism before ... I thought I'd give it a
> go. Not much help from Google. Can you spot any problems already?

I tried to educate myself on this a few years ago, but failed for the
same reasons you apparently did.  There's just not many people who both
use anything more than MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 or XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1, and
have documented their experiences publicly enough for Google to snag
them.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |        People with power understand
Debian GNU/Linux                   |        exactly one thing: violence.