Re: Re-debconfage

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 11:58:12AM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> The X autoconf stuff is not DFSG-free: it's licensed under the X-Oz
> license.

After Branden's mail to -legal, I'm going to definitely agree. This, of
course begs the question, how can we distribute XFree86 with this stuff
enabled at all? And if we can continue to distribute it, we ought to
make use of it, but I somehow doubt that's going to be the case.

Have I been reading things correctly in that the idea behind the license
audit of the current codebase is that all the non-free stuff should be
purged if possible? If this means that the autoconfiguration code is
going too, then we'll have to fall back on our other options. I'm going
to try and look in to what other distros do to configure X to see where
we're going. If anyone wants to contribute to that, feel free. The basic
idea being that if we can steal some autoconfiguration code it'll save
us plenty of time and effort.

 - David Nusinow