Kernel 2.6.2, XFree86 and /dev/psaux issue

Hi all,

Herbert Xu, the Debian kernel package maintainer, will upload kernel-2.6.2
to the unstable brunch soon (you can download the kernel from
http://people.debian.org/~herbert ). I tested this kernel on 3
different computers, and on all 3 computers X wasn't able to start
any longer. X was complaining about not being able to access
/dev/psaux. The modules mousedev and psmouse were loaded though, like
in 2.6.0. I was testing lot of things but couldn't fix the problem.
So I sent Herbert an email and told him about my problems and a possible
bug in the mousedev module.
He gave me the information that the mousedev module no longer
creates /dev/psaux by default  and that this was requested by the Debian
X maintainers (modprobe mousedev psaux=1 does still create the /dev/psaux
device, but how could one know).

However, I contacted Branden and wanted to know his opinion,
he would like to see an open discussion. So here we go :-) !

The /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 that comes with the Debian include /dev/psaux
and /dev/input/mice ! But nearly all the administrators I know adjust
and configure XF86Config-4 manually - and will probably fail like I did
when upgrading to Kernel-2.6.2 due to having /dev/psaux only in their configs.
I assume Herbert Xu might get tons of bug reports due to this behaviour.

Maybe I am a complete idiot and talking bullshit here, if so, please let me
know...if not, what are your thoughts?

Kind reagrds, Joerg.