Re: [Dri-devel] Re: Machine hangs/screen hangs with newer kernels + GL screensavers

--- Ariel Garcia <garcia@iwr.fzk.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > >  > > both on my desktop and my laptop i am getting strange hangs
> > >  > > when running XFree packages (both debian testing/unstable,
> > >  > > 4.2.1-{12.1,15}) with the newer linux kernels. This happens
> > >  > > for me since one of the 2.5.5* kernels (and it still happens
> >
> > BTW, it'd be interesting to know which 2.5.x kernel exactly it
> stopped
> > working at.
>
> Ok, what i know for sure is that in the stable series it broke in
> 2.4.23,
> 2.4.22 was ok. For the 2.5 kernels, 2.5.57 was ok and 2.6.0-test5 was
>
> already broken. More testing would need to wait: away at a conference
>
> until end of next week, sorry.
>
> > Sounds like the radeon DRM broke backwards compatibility for
> XFree86 4.2
> > and older somewhere along the way. :( Just to be sure, can either
> of you
> > please try the DRM from current DRI CVS?
>
> I cannot right now, see abiove ;-)
> Ok, you mean the kernel patches, right? I would gladly do that with
> my
> current debian experimental 4.3 XFree packages. Is that what you
> mean?

The DRM is the kernel module.  You can build the one in the DRI source
tree against any kernel.  download the cvs tree and switch to this
directory:
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/drm/kernel
then run:
make -f Makefile.linux
or
make -f Makefile.linux LINUXDIR=/path/to/kernel/src
depending on where your kernel source is located.  make sure you have
run at least make dep on the kernel source.

Alex