Re: Machine hangs/screen hangs with newer kernels + GL screensavers

Hi,

> >  > > both on my desktop and my laptop i am getting strange hangs
> >  > > when running XFree packages (both debian testing/unstable,
> >  > > 4.2.1-{12.1,15}) with the newer linux kernels. This happens
> >  > > for me since one of the 2.5.5* kernels (and it still happens
>
> BTW, it'd be interesting to know which 2.5.x kernel exactly it stopped
> working at.

Ok, what i know for sure is that in the stable series it broke in 2.4.23,
2.4.22 was ok. For the 2.5 kernels, 2.5.57 was ok and 2.6.0-test5 was
already broken. More testing would need to wait: away at a conference
until end of next week, sorry.

> Sounds like the radeon DRM broke backwards compatibility for XFree86 4.2
> and older somewhere along the way. :( Just to be sure, can either of you
> please try the DRM from current DRI CVS?

I cannot right now, see abiove ;-)
Ok, you mean the kernel patches, right? I would gladly do that with my
current debian experimental 4.3 XFree packages. Is that what you mean?

Cheers, Ariel