Re: Machine hangs/screen hangs with newer kernels + GL screensavers

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 15:03, Ariel Garcia wrote:

> both on my desktop and my laptop i am getting strange hangs when running
> XFree packages (both debian testing/unstable, 4.2.1-{12.1,15}) with the
> newer linux kernels. This happens for me since one of the 2.5.5* kernels
> (and it still happens with 2.6.0) and now i also checked the same happens
> with 4.2.23 (but doesn't happen with 4.2.22). With the 2.5/2.6 kernels i
> checked the same happens with acpi disabled.

Sounds like it's related to the newer DRM.

> What i did to trigger it: boot with 2.4.23 (config file identical to 2.4.22
> one, both compiled with gcc 3.3.x), login in KDE, and activate Lock
> Screen. Everything freezes when trying to run the screensaver (Euphoria GL
> is my default screensaver. Same freeze happens if you open KDE's control
> module for setting the screensaver's properties).
> However the mouse and the OS still work, the system is accessible through
> ssh. At that point i could kill the keuphoria screen saver, but the screen
> was still frozen. So i killed (-9) the Xserver, but at that point the
> machine hung completely.

Typical symptoms of a graphics chip lockup.

> My graphics cards are ATI Radeon (both in laptop and desktop)

FWIW, I can run all screensavers from the kscreensaver package from sid
on my TiBook with a Mobility Radeon 9000 running a 2.6 kernel with my
DRI snapshot packages described in
http://dri.sourceforge.net/snapshots/README.Debian without problems. The
XFree86 4.3 packages in experimental may also work better.

> Probably unrelated, but in XFree86.0.log I get:
>
> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a
> Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:debug_xform.o":  No
> symbols found
>
> I also get tons of
>    "Not loading .note.GNU-stack"
> messages in the same XFree server logfile.

These are indeed unrelated and harmless.

Software libre enthusiast    |   http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=daenzer