Machine hangs/screen hangs with newer kernels + GL screensavers

Hi,

both on my desktop and my laptop i am getting strange hangs when running
XFree packages (both debian testing/unstable, 4.2.1-{12.1,15}) with the
newer linux kernels. This happens for me since one of the 2.5.5* kernels
(and it still happens with 2.6.0) and now i also checked the same happens
with 4.2.23 (but doesn't happen with 4.2.22). With the 2.5/2.6 kernels i
checked the same happens with acpi disabled.

What i did to trigger it: boot with 2.4.23 (config file identical to 2.4.22
one, both compiled with gcc 3.3.x), login in KDE, and activate Lock
Screen. Everything freezes when trying to run the screensaver (Euphoria GL
is my default screensaver. Same freeze happens if you open KDE's control
module for setting the screensaver's properties).
However the mouse and the OS still work, the system is accessible through
ssh. At that point i could kill the keuphoria screen saver, but the screen
was still frozen. So i killed (-9) the Xserver, but at that point the
machine hung completely.

The same also happens if you let the screensaver to kick in.

I couldn't find anything similar in google/debian BTS.

My graphics cards are ATI Radeon (both in laptop and desktop)

Probably unrelated, but in XFree86.0.log I get:

(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a
Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:debug_xform.o":  No
symbols found

I also get tons of
   "Not loading .note.GNU-stack"
messages in the same XFree server logfile. This seems to be related to the
last line of one of the several files in /usr/lib/ldscripts, for instance:

# tail /usr/lib/ldscripts/elf_i386.x
  .debug_str      0 : { *(.debug_str) }
  .debug_loc      0 : { *(.debug_loc) }
  .debug_macinfo  0 : { *(.debug_macinfo) }
  /* SGI/MIPS DWARF 2 extensions */
  .debug_weaknames 0 : { *(.debug_weaknames) }
  .debug_funcnames 0 : { *(.debug_funcnames) }
  .debug_typenames 0 : { *(.debug_typenames) }
  .debug_varnames  0 : { *(.debug_varnames) }
  /DISCARD/ : { *(.note.GNU-stack) }
}

Anyone?

Thanks in advance (please CC direct to me too),

Ariel