Re: Xabre SiS 330 (xserver-xfree86 4.2.1-15)

Branden said:
> I'm afraid we probably can't help you with the whys and wherefores of
> driver support of specific models of display adapter, but the author
> of the driver in question might be able to: his name is Thomas
> Winischhofer, and his webpage about his SiS driver for XFree86/XOrg is
> at the following site:
>
> http://www.winischhofer.at/linuxsisvga.shtml
>
> Note that according to this site, the SiS 330 *is* supported.  Perhaps
> support for it was dropped for a while but later restored.  The
> version of the SiS driver in Debian's XFree86 4.3.0 packages is quite
> a bit newer than the stock XFree86 4.3.0 version.

The website offers each a version of the most current driver for ALL versions of XFree86/X.org since 4.1.0.

See the "Debian" paragraph in the download section.

SiS330 support was never "dropped"/"restored". I have no idea what man pages Michelle read. Perhaps one of the versions she tried contained a "backported" newer version of the driver.

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria