Re: libxv1 breaks apt-get and so my Debian.

    Fabio> | Hi
    Fabio> |
    Fabio> | Some 14 days ago I sent a bug report about that issue.

    Fabio>    We   all  received the    bug   report  on   the mailing
    Fabio> list. reposting the same bug plus adding all the maintainer
    Fabio> in CC is:

    Fabio> a) unpolite.
    Fabio> ~   we are subscribed to the mailing list that we read regularly.

    Fabio> b) annoying.
    Fabio> ~    we get all  messages  duplicated and without any extra
    Fabio>     information,
    Fabio> ~   that will only cost us more time to filter.

    Fabio> c) disturbing.
    Fabio> ~   even  if we  do  our best for   our users, we might  be
    Fabio>     temporary busy.
    Fabio> ~   Pushing doesn't help you or anybody else.

I am sorry for doing a,b,c. However I only saw my bug report and no
other, so I had no idea how fast bug usually were answered and I got
the impression that the project might be a little deserted. Since the
bug I mentioned, prevented me from using apt-get and I needed to
install some pkg I frankly did not know how to proceed.

I learnt meanwhile that the bug report was ignored on purpose, but how
should I know?
    Fabio> Alsa

[snip]

    Fabio> Your sources.list is not updated or is broken and apt cache
    Fabio> hasn't been updated properly.

    Fabio>  | (Reading    database ... 154499  files  and  directories
    Fabio> currently installed.)

    Fabio> | Unpacking libxv1 (from .../libxv1_4.3.0.dfsg.1-8_i386.deb) ...
    Fabio> | dpkg: error processing
    Fabio> /var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0.dfsg.1-8_i386.deb (-
    Fabio> | -unpack):

    Fabio>  | trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/libXv.so.1.0', which
    Fabio> is also in package xli

    Fabio> | bs
    Fabio> | dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Fabio> | Errors were encountered while processing:
    Fabio> |  /var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0.dfsg.1-8_i386.deb

    Fabio> Giving that you can fix the apt cache/sources.list problem,
    Fabio> you can try an apt-get dist-upgrade.

I tried all this without success

dpkg -i --force-overwrite \
	/var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0.dfsg.1-8_i386.deb
was the solution, thanks to Kevin B. McCarty.

Uwe