Re: [X4.3] Staying problem with Helvetica ugliness

* Pasi Savolainen <pasi.savolainen@hut.fi>:
>     ... I experience a problem which I have big problems
> explaining.
> Helvetica -font rendering seems 'out-of-hand', it always defaults to
> something looking like:
> '-adobe-helvetica-bold-o-normal-*-*-240-*-*-p-*-iso8859-15' or more
> precisely
> '-Adobe-Helvetica-Bold-O-Normal--34-240-100-100-P-182-ISO8859-15'. (I
> found those with gtkfontsel, which _was_ able to show other
> helvetica. KDE (3.1.1) showed that (24pt font..) event when explicitly
> told to show 11(pt/px, which they don't tell).
> Also Mozilla & Opera showed that big font, always when no specific
> point-size was mentioined in style, for example simple '<p><font
> face=Helvetica>boo</font' would show with cat-sized letters.
>
> There really wouldn't be much of problem, but many web-pages use
> helvetica and become thus unreadable as this huge font skews layout
> (overlaps badly, at least in opera).
>
> I don't think I have anything special in conf-files, simple reordering
> in XF86Config-3. XftConfig untouched, as is /etc/font/local.conf.

This is quite a long delay, but as I've had at least couple of enquiries
about resolving this..

I apparently had a .bdf/.pcf version of Helvetica on a top level font
directory (that's how kcontrol's font management showed it). After
removing it (Helvetica from top-level), and restarting applications
problem went away.
(This problem was actually 'resolved', but resurfaced after installing
an application that used helvetica).

I can't even guess a reason why that single helvetica glyphclump was
there. It admittedly is from one of my programs, but I'm quite sure I
didn't install it as a font. Could be a case of 'click-yes-installitis'.

--
   Psi -- <http://www.iki.fi/pasi.savolainen>