Re: X Strike Force XFree86 SVN commit: r1832 - in trunk/debian: . local

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 02:22:52AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 11:08:49PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> > True, I will try to improve wording here.
>
> Are you happy with the current FAQ entry?  If I'm saying anything
> misleading in it, please let me know.  I don't want to ship a FAQ in sarge
> with bad information in it.
>
> > No, in my bogus terminology, position means the group number.
>
> Okay.  I *think* I understand.  Would the follwing symbol definition
> reflect an accurate notion of what a group is (assuming my bogus keysyms
> actually existed)?
>
> xkb_symbols "foo" {
>
>         name[Group1] = "FirstGroup"
>         name[Group2] = "SecondGroup"
>         name[Group3] = "ThirdGroup"
>         name[Group4] = "FourthGroup"
>
>         key <AE01> = { [ UnshiftedGroup1, ShiftedGroup1 ],
>                        [ UnshiftedGroup2, ShiftedGroup2 ],
>                        [ UnshiftedGroup3, ShiftedGroup3 ],
>                        [ UnshiftedGroup4, ShiftedGroup4 ] }
> }

No, this can't be right, as the new symbols/pc/ca file shows.

If there are only two keysyms to a group, then the Canadian default layout
("fr") couldn't be combined with any group 2 layout.

    key <AD11>  { [dead_circumflex, dead_circumflex, bracketleft  ]     };

And ca(multi) would not be combinable with ca(multi-gr2).

    key <AE12>  { [     equal,       plus,      notsign ]       };

Sigh.  Just when I think I've almost grasped it, something yanks it away.

Or maybe I simply have stumpled upon the difference between "levels" and
"groups"?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     It's not a matter of alienating
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     authors.  They have every right to