DRAFT [was: Re: Fabio, please summarize the "future" thread :)]

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Branden Robinson wrote:

> Hi Fabio,
>
> Would you please summarize the "Future of X in Debian" thread so that I can
> update the FAQ in time for the -7 package release?

Here is a draft. I kept it simple for global understanding, but guys feel
free to destroy it if you think it is not good enough.

--- DRAFT ---

After a long time, rumours spreading around and different requests of
information from our community, a couple of months ago, Fabio M. Di Nitto,
Debian X Release Manager, started a thread [0] to discuss the Future of X
packages [1] in Debian for an open discussion between users and the XSF
[2].

A lot of people have been participating to the thread, and the XSF thanks
all of them for their interest, their opinions, ideas and suggestions.

The outcome of the thread was farly clear to everybody. Debian will move
away from the Xfree86 [3][4] source tree, as soon as possible, after the
upcoming stable release [5], due to its license issues [6] (as discussed
several times in different mailing lists and forums).

XSF will commit, anyway, to provide support and help to the Security Team
[7] for Xfree86 packages, that Debian will ship in sarge.

Almost, if not everybody agreed to switch to the X.org [8][9] source tree,
with a clear idea in mind to move from a monolithic tree to a modular one.

Whilst the former is a relatively simple technical transition [10], the
latter will take longer and an undefinable amount of time, but it will
bring the packages quality to a higher level, thanks to the introduction
of a fast release cycle for each single component.

With these changes, it will also be possible for the community to have
more than one X server. XSF will indeed support only one and will not
discourage other people to package others. People that will file ITP for
other X servers will be required to strictly cooperate with the XSF [11],
to maintain similar packaging standards, simplify the bug handling on
shared components (like xlibs) and discuss future changes and
improvements.

Regards,
XSF

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2004/06/msg00411.html
[1] http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xfree86.html
[2] http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/NEWS.xhtml#whatis
[3] http://www.xfree86.org/
[4] http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/trunk/debian/local/FAQ.xhtml#defxfree86
[5] http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/
[6] http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/trunk/debian/local/FAQ.xhtml#xfree86license
[7] http://www.debian.org/security/
[8] http://wwww.x.org/
[9] http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/trunk/debian/local/FAQ.xhtml#xorg
[10] The X.org tree requires a license check that has not been done yet.
[11] via http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.