Re: New 'nv' support with trunk+(nv from sanitized)?

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 12:07:18AM -0500, Tom Marble wrote:
> I'm looking for advice on how to build a version of the 'nv'
> driver to support a recent nVidia GPU. My old laptop died (unfortunately)
> and that has led me to tentatively replacing it with the HP zd7260us
> which contains
>   { 0x10DE0347, "GeForce FX Go5700" },

I apologize for the long delay in replying.

[...]
> So is the best approach to replace the 'nv' contents from
> xfree86-4.3.0 with those from xfree86-CVS-pre-4.4.0-RC3-new-license-sanitized
> and then continue as documented in...?
>   http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/HACKING.txt
>  5) Change directories into the unpackaged source tree.
>      cd xfree86-4.3.0
>  5.5) (new step)
>      mv xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/nv xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/nv.430
>      cp -r /data/xfree86-CVS-pre-4.4.0-RC3-new-license-sanitized/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/nv/ xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/
>  6) Remove the debian/ directory.
>      rm -r debian
>  7) Export the debian directory of the trunk of the XFree86 Subversion
>     repository.
>      svn export svn://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xfree86/trunk/debian debian
>     (You can use the --revision option if necessary.)
>
> There will likely be various problems applying the patches
> in the nv directory, but this should be fewer things to resolve
> than building the complete "sanitized" tree (without the benefit
> of the full debianization during this period of transition to X.next)

Yes, this is what I would do.  I have recently updated the nv driver
backport, but I didn't move forward in time far enough to get GeForce FX
Go5700 support.  After that the driver was rewritten and the changes were
just too disruptive for me to apply without a tester lined up.

Here's the SVN commit log:

  Grab from XFree86 CVS (2003-07-16) more updates to the nv driver.  Fixes
  several bugs as well as adding support for several chipsets, including
  GeForce FX 5600SE, GeForce FX Go5600, GeForce FX Go5650, Quadro FX Go700,
  GeForce FX Go5100, GeForce FX 5900 Ultra, GeForce FX 5900, Quadro FX 3000,
  and the "mystery" TNT2 card with a PCI model ID of 0x002a.  Extend
  reversion of REGION_EQUAL macro implementation to nv driver in patch #030.
  Resync patch #911.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Freedom is kind of a hobby with me,
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    and I have disposable income that