New 'nv' support with trunk+(nv from sanitized)?

All:

I'm looking for advice on how to build a version of the 'nv'
driver to support a recent nVidia GPU. My old laptop died (unfortunately)
and that has led me to tentatively replacing it with the HP zd7260us
which contains
  { 0x10DE0347, "GeForce FX Go5700" },

I have built the proprietary nVidia driver, but it causes my
system to hang hard (I've detailed the configuration on nvNews):
  http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=376642#post376642
(I am currently using the vesa driver)

The current release does not have support for this GPU:
  http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/xfree86_4.3.0.dfsg.1.orig.tar.gz
  http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/trunk/debian/patches/000_stolen_from_HEAD_nv_driver.diff
(Note: X.org CVS does not have it either)

However, the "sanitized" release does have it (line 198):
  http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/xfree86-CVS-pre-4.4.0-RC3-new-license-sanitized/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/nv/nv_driver.c

So is the best approach to replace the 'nv' contents from
xfree86-4.3.0 with those from xfree86-CVS-pre-4.4.0-RC3-new-license-sanitized
and then continue as documented in...?
  http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/HACKING.txt
 5) Change directories into the unpackaged source tree.
     cd xfree86-4.3.0
 5.5) (new step)
     mv xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/nv xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/nv.430
     cp -r /data/xfree86-CVS-pre-4.4.0-RC3-new-license-sanitized/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/nv/ xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/
 6) Remove the debian/ directory.
     rm -r debian
 7) Export the debian directory of the trunk of the XFree86 Subversion
    repository.
     svn export svn://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xfree86/trunk/debian debian
    (You can use the --revision option if necessary.)

There will likely be various problems applying the patches
in the nv directory, but this should be fewer things to resolve
than building the complete "sanitized" tree (without the benefit
of the full debianization during this period of transition to X.next)

Regards,

--Tom

P.S. I am relatively new to Debian and I am constantly amazed at
     breadth and depth of quality work here.