Re: hurd-i386 updates

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 08:40:25PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 02:04:34AM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've brought the hurd-i386 port of xfree86 back on track.
> > [...]
> >
> > In order to have a clear look at the differences between linux.cf and
> > gnu.cf, I shuffled gnu.cf around and reformatted some parts, in order to
> > sync the two and make the diff somewhat easy to read.
>
> Very nice! Now that gnu.cf is overhauled and the differences with linux.cf are
> minimal, what would you think of merging linux.cf into it?
>
> We could have some #ifdef'ed snippets of kernel-specific macros in gnu.cf,
> but most of it would be generic. This way we can get Debian GNU/Linux ports
> to switch to gnu.cf and we don't need to maintain separate files. I would
> also like to add the k*BSD definitions that used to be in k*BSD.cf and
> included from gnu.cf (in my unmerged patches).
>
> I can add these to your patch, make sure that nothing breaks on GNU/Linux,
> and commit it. Sounds ok to you?

For the record (and not that I think this should stop anything), the NetBSD
(Nienna) build is derived largely from gnu.cf, and thus may need to be
redone after this.

Conversely, I had to sort out a lot of the same things and figure out what
was the same, or different, based on 'GNU userland' vs. 'GNU core' bits,
and having gnu.cf and linux.cf sanely comparable makes sense.

The one thing I'd wonder (and I *haven't* looked at whether this is sane)
is whether it would be possible to split the 'Debian' pieces (what userland
apps are available, where manpages belong, etc) from the 'core' pieces that
are Linux/Hurd/NetBSD determined. Otherwise we end up duplicating a lot of
info between the three...

I think this was the general direction you were going anyway, but wanted to
point out that Robert's k*BSD.cf (Glibc-based) and the Nienna set (NetBSD
libc based) have some very different choices for certain options - and a
huge set of similarities to the current GNU, Linux, etc, files as Debian
patches them.
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU/kNetBSD(i386) porter                                      : :' :