Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 07:51:32PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 07:40:32PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > While it is true that only a fraction of these people actively use their
> > commit access, it is also true that only one of the approximately 15 people
> > who've ever had it did anything that required disciplinary action.
>
> In the first instance, make an error of judgement and start reorganising
> package names based on a misunderstanding. I was very uncomfortable with
> that principle.

Error in judgement?  "My actions were a last-straw attempt to try and force
two issues, which were quite successfully forced."

Or were you referring to the earlier incident?

Neither sounds like an "error in judgement" to me; rather a plan of action
deliberately executed.

Besides which, the hijack upload of xfree86 was a far worse problem, and if
*that* wasn't the error in judgement, I'm not sure why the other one
matters.

> And, if you refuse to speak to me outside of the context of debian-x,

You have poor recall and even poorer quoting skills.

What I said was:
    I will communicate with you on public mailing lists -- only.[1][2]

> how can I realistically avoid being so hideously wrong again?

But, what the hell, let's pretend I said "debian-x" instead of "public
mailing lists", since that seems to be your interpretation anyway:

What is it you expect to be hideously wrong about that both A) is not
germane to the debian-x mailing list; and B) would make any difference to
you or anyone else?

Be "hideously wrong" about international politics or the correct wording of
the Social Contract all you like; if it doesn't touch packages for which I
have responsibility in whole or part, it doesn't really matter much, does
it?

[1] Message-ID: <[🔎] 20040706003642.GC29333@redwald.deadbeast.net>
[2] An exception would be bug reports against packages that I
    maintain personally (i.e., not as part of the X Strike Force).  To date
    that hasn't been an issue.  (XSF bug reports go to the -x list.)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     "Why do we have to hide from the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      police, Daddy?"