Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 01:44:28AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 01:26:59PM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> > > maybe most recent suggestions about the future of X in debian should
> > > involve a discussion about the policy for X maintaince.
> >
> > Apparently we did not send enough signals about this subject:
> >
> > "Everybody is part of the XSF"
> >
> > starting from our users to Branden and me as last.
> >
> > What is not clear about this concept?
>
> So call the group of people who can upload X something else.

...same thing they're called for all other group-maintained packages.  For
example, for the xfree86 source package itself:

$ grep Uploaders debian/control
Uploaders: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>, Fabio M. Di Nitto <fabbione@fabbione.net>

> The XSF to me is meaningless as a concept

I reckon it is not reasonable to expect you to cooperatively participate in
that which you consider meaningless.

> and the really important X group are the gatekeepers to Debian

Maybe that's just the group that is the sine qua non for you.  I personally
consider those who assist with bug triage, prepare patches, and test patches
that Fabio and I can't test (because, e.g., we lack the hardware) to perform
pretty damn important services.  I'm sorry you disagree.

> If I decide and propose something, will you upload it tomorrow?

There's probably not going to be a 24-hour turnaround on anything that
comes in out of the blue (i.e., something that's not already on the TODO
list for the next release), unless it's something as simple as a typo fix
or an updated set of Debconf template translations.

> The reality is that you guys make decisions -- good or bad -- and have
> the final say on what hits Debian, as it stands. This is not necessarily
> a bad thing, but it's far away from the Utopia you paint where everyone
> can do everything.

Where is this "Utopia" painted, and who painted it?  Do you care to cite
some supporting references for this bread-and-circuses rhetoric?

> I cannot contribute effectively, and I also feel that I cannot work
> within the XSF, while the SABDFL

What's the SABDFL, and what does it stand for?  I deduce from context that
it's a reference to me.

> continues to feel he cannot work with me, and very rarely communicates
> with me.

I will communicate with you on public mailing lists -- only.

> I have been actively removed from the DUX,

You were never in the Uploaders field of xfree86 package.  You uploaded
anyway, and did not follow the NMU procedure.  Furthermore, you did this
deliberately and in full knowledge that you were breaching procedure.

> and thus from X maintainence.

There's a lot more to package maintenance than the act of uploading to the
Debian archive server or one of the upload queues.

> That's why I can't contribute.

It appears to me that you largely *refuse* to contribute, until and unless
you have sanctioned upload privileges.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     One doesn't have a sense of humor.
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     It has you.