Re: What to do about #252170

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 08:57:30PM +0200, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
> I'm sending this message to maintainers of packages which are possibly
> involved in the problem.
>
> Please read http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=252170
>
> I know very little of X programming, so I have no idea which package is
> "guilty" of the problem:
>  - xmms-xf86audio for using XStringToKeysym
>  - xmms for not caring about setting up Xlib thread support early enough
>  - xosd for setting up Xlib thread support too late
>  - xlib for having such and not other thread support interface
>
> Anyway, we need to decide how to resolve the problem. Please help.
>
> Marcin
> PS: Please CC the bug address so we have a log. Or maybe we should move
> this to some mailing list?

Philipp Matthias Hahn's recommendation[1] looked sound to me.

Going by Andrew Suffield's comments, anything else would involve major
surgery to Xlib -- probably implementing a new function for thread
initialization -- and that is well beyond my ken.  I'd want to consult with
gurus like Keith Packard first.

Keith is subscribed to this list, so maybe uttering his name will summon
him to this thread.

Maybe.  :)

[1] Message-ID: <[🔎] 20040707080119.GF19584@titan.lahn.de>
[2] Message-ID: <20040614223543.GA20924@suffields.me.uk>

G. Branden Robinson                |    If a man ate a pound of pasta and a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    pound of antipasto, would they
branden@debian.org                 |    cancel out, leaving him still
http://people.debian.org/~branden/ |    hungry?              -- Scott Adams