Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 02:40:57PM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Fabio Massimo Di Nitto <fabbione@fabbione.net> [2004-06-18 09:02]:
> > * Should we regard X.Org or FreeDesktop.Org as our upstream source?
>
> Yes, I'd go with one of them.  Keith Packard is also in the NM queue
> and interested in helping out.

This is well-known to readers of the debian-x mailing list, but thanks
for advertising it to a broader audience.

> > * Should we go our own way starting from the "sanitized" XFree86 CVS
> >   snapshot we've prepared?
>
> I think this would be a really bad idea.  I think it would be much
> better to try to get all of our patches integrated upstream, and I
> hear that the new upstream people (X.Org/FreeDesktop.Org) are much
> more interested in integrating porting patches than XFree86 was.
> Since Keith Packard is also on our lists, I hope that he'll help with
> forwarding patches upstream and getting them integrated.

The only problem I have with the new upstream is that there is no
obvious screaming drill sergeant of a license auditor.  I'd sleep better
at night if there were.

However, I think that's being worked on.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |           If ignorance is bliss,