Re: Future of X packages in Debian

also sprach Dominique Dumont <domi.dumont@free.fr> [2004.06.22.2237 +0200]:
> At one point you mentionned the shortcomings of autotools, it
> might be worth to check if cons or scons are more apt to build
> X than autotools.

While I agree that autotools are mostly a pain, I also didn't find
a viable alternative when I went on a quest recently. Scons is
powerful and I can recommend it to anyone, but it is an automake
replacement and features few to none of the features of autoconf.
There is toc (toc.sf.net), but it's very GNU-centric, so I imagine
that Debian may be happy with it as long as we don't start
supporting BSD-userland. In addition, I know the toc author
personally and can vouch for him: he's eager to incorporate
improvements into the system, so I guess there could be an
interesting synergy.

`. `'`