Re: Future of X packages in Debian

>> * What kinds of X packages would you like to see in the future?

 I hope to realize (upstream) source level separation for each
libraries, X server, drivers, x basic clients, fonts, misc data
and so on.

 To maintain monolithic, large source tree (likes current xfree86
package) is too hard.

>> * Should we regard X.Org or FreeDesktop.Org as our upstream source?

 Yes, I think so. fd.o's modualized X libraries and servers is one of
the answer to realize small (upstream level) separated X packages.

>> * Should we go our own way starting from the "sanitized" XFree86 CVS
>>   snapshot we've prepared?

 Yes and No (this answer is related next question.)

>> * Should we ensure that multiple implementations of the X Window System
>>   are packaged, or standardize on just one?

 If we can separate upstream source tree, I think...

  - We should have only one implemantation for each X client-side
    libraries, perhaps it is based on X.org's or fd.o's
    implementation.

  - We can have multiple X server implemantations for a various
    purposes, fd.o kdriver base, debrix base and so on.
    If someone want to use XFree86 based X server, he(they) will be
    able to continue to work for XFree86 based X server.

>> * If we standardize on just one, which one should it be?

 I think fd.o's modualized implemantation is the best solution.

--
ISHIKAWA Mutsumi
 <ishikawa@debian.org>, <ishikawa@netvillage.co.jp>