Re: Newer VIA driver for xfree86-4.3.0.dfsg.1

Martijn van de Streek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've created a patch to upgrade the VIA/Unichrome driver in the current
> XFree86 in unstable to the R20 version from http://unichrome.
> sourceforge.net/, and I've patched in their released XvMC patch.
>
> The only thing that's missing seems to be the dri part of the driver,
> xc/lib/GL/mesa/src/via, from dri CVS.
>
> I've built, installed and tested this driver and haven't found any
> obvious (to me) bugs.
>
> All code seems to be under an MIT license, so it should be safe to add
> this.

The VIA driver from http://unichrome.sourceforge.net/ contains a merge from
XFree86 4.4.0.  :-P  The only code changes in the via driver from the
DFSG-clean source to 4.4.0 are two by Luc Verhaegen:

xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/via/via_bios.c
  XFree86 Revision 1.11

xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/via/via_driver.c
  XFree86 Revision 1.33

If it can be verified that he is not doing "aggressive relicensing", then it
is safe.  If he is doing "aggressive relicesning" like Dawes, who claims
that all his additions after some date or other are under the XFree86 1.1
license, then these two tiny bits are not safe.

Unfortunately, it's important to ask.