Re: Start preparing xfree86 4.3.0.dfsg.1-2

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 07:56:06AM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > 	a few hours ago 4.3.0.dfsg.1-1 has been uploaded and it will hit
> > the mirrors within tomorrow.
>
> Hats off, Fabio!  You have my deepest thanks for handling this
> responsibility, and handling it well.

Well thanks also to all your work in cleaning up my logs and errors here
and there ;)

> > >From the TODO list, I think we should proceed in the following order of
> > priorities:
> >
> > - ---> subliminal message: fix whatever I broke with 4.3.0.dfsg.1-1 <---

The ATI/radeon problem has been fixed by Herbert already in the new kernel
upload -4. We need to investigate the mga driver to verify who needs to
work on it.

> There are some reports trickling in that the damn kernel 2.6 "This is a
> bug in XFree86.  This is a bug in XFree86.  This is a bug in XFree86.
> This is a bug in XFree86." problem isn't truly resolved.
>
> We'll have to wait and see how that develops.  Not your fault in any
> case.

The one i saw was still to 4.3.0-7, but i went trough it very very fast.

> > * steal {U,}XTerm* app-defaults updates from HEAD and resync patches
>
> I think I will pull from Thomas (Dickey's) releases instead.  With
> XFree86 (implicitly) slapping their new license on all the Imakefiles, I
> don't feel like messing with upstream CVS.

[SNIP]

agreed. more we stay away from the licence mess better is.

> > * Fix upstream install rule that prevents Xcursor themes from being
> >   installed on s390.  As I understand it, this is client-side stuff and
> >   there's not really any reason it shouldn't be made available on the s390
> >   architecture.
> >
> > * Fix other gratuitous differences between s390 debehlper files and the
> >   generic ones by fixing upstream Imakeage to not turn extra stuff off when
> >   the XFree86 X server is not being built (like xmodmap.std).  It ships
> >   libXxf86vm.a but not the corresponding manpages.
>
> Be warned; I know my way around Imake fairly well by now (though I'm hardly an
> expert), but the above could be time consuming.  I think we should be
> prepared to defer these in favor either of other fixes or just getting
> the release out the door.

Sure. Mine is just a list. We will do as much as we can. Also removing or
postponing items if required.

More generally, I would like that people read my messages as a direction
to go, but not a strict rule to follow.

> > For this release, other than the 4 bug fixes, we will work mainly on
> > resync and cleanup. If -1 and -2 will not show big problems we might want
> > to consider slightly bigger changes for -3, like the rewrite
> > xserver-xfree86 debconfage. Time will tell.
>
> Yeah, I'm not quite ready for a commit of the stuff I've got in my
> working copy.

Do you have a branch for it? or only a local copy?

> See above.  As I feared, David Dawes has not replied to my request for a
> clarification on what the heck is going on with this "implicit relicense
> even if neither the file nor the commit message say so" business, so I
> think that everything failing the criteria I outlined above needs to be
> regarded as poisonous.

agreed.. as above ;)

Thanks
Fabio

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.