Re: Be careful with xlibs versions (was: Re: X Strike Force Xcursor SVN commit: r46 - vendor)

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 10:52:27PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 03:06:49AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 12:03:14PM -0500, X Strike Force SVN Repository Admin wrote:
> > > Author: branden
> > > Date: 2004-04-19 12:03:13 -0500 (Mon, 19 Apr 2004)
> > > New Revision: 46
> > >
> > > Added:
> > >    vendor/AUTHORS
> > > Modified:
> > >    vendor/ChangeLog
> > >    vendor/Xcursor.h
> > >    vendor/configure.ac
> > >    vendor/xcursorint.h
> > > Log:
> > > Import Xcursor 1.1.3 (upstream CVS tag XCURSOR-1_1_3-RELEASE).
> >
> > Branden,
> > Please be very careful with these. Xcursor is fine, as it's a
> > modular-tree-native module, but note that I do not consider a release
> > official until tarballs have turned up - and right now, there are no
> > official tarballs for any module.
> >
> > 1.1.3 will not change, but others very well may as I complete the sync
> > from the monolithic tree (botched the header sync, which I'm still
> > sorting out).
>
> Er, perhaps I was confused.
>
> Is XCURSOR-1_1_3-RELEASE a branch tag or a release tag?
>
> I assumed it was the latter.  If it was the former, I agree that this
> was a boo-boo.
>
> Does freedesktop.org not use the common CVS convention of appending the
> word "-branch" to branch tags?

It was a release tag, but I screwed up the tagging. Unfortunately, CVS
can't 'undo' tags, so while I fix the merges from XOrg (and I've been
pressed for time lately), the tags live on. That's why I've said that an
xlibs release shouldn't be considered official until there are tarballs.

You can't kill tags, even when you realise that the package probably
won't even compile.

--
Daniel Stone                                                <daniels@debian.org>
Debian: the universal operating system                     http://www.debian.org