Re: X Strike Force - some infos missing

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 05:06:40PM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:

> Around 19 o'clock on Mar 31, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>
> > If it's not in the X.org repository, I gain the impression that it would
> > not be released in X11R6.8
>
> My hope is that any future release from X.org would not be a monolithic
> release but rather a collection of separately released modules so that the
> 'X.org repository' becomes only those modules which people want to
> maintain there. X.org would then construct a release of software
> maintained both in it's own repository as well as software maintained
> elsewhere without having to copy the source code into the X.org repository.

That sounds reasonable enough.  Bear in mind on the other hand that I
(more frequently than I like) see comments to the effect that other
terminal emulators are more modern/flashy/etc.

> So, X11R6.8 (or whatever it's called) could contain whatever released bits
> that people wanted it to contain.  I would certainly push to only include
> software that the original authors *wanted* to be included in X and leave
> out bits which those authors wanted to maintain and distributed on their
> own.

For the foreseeable future, I'm inclined to continue as I have with xterm -
improving and maintaining it and working with groups that distribute it.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net