Re: DRI

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:27:19AM +0100, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> First of all thanks for the 4.3.0 packages, my new Radeon 9200 ran out
> of the box with completely libre 3D support (expect that I had to down-
> grade xlibmesa-dri, which has already been reported several times).
> Great work!
>
> Are you planning to integrate a more recent DRI version into the 4.3.0
> packages or is this technically difficult due to API changes?
> The xlibmesa-dri included in xfree 4.3.0 is from august 2002 and jugdeging
> from the dri-devel lists there have been _lots_ of bugfixes and improvements
> since then.
>
> I know that this is not the the typical Debian way, but DRI is one of the
> few places outside the kernel that tends to lockup the machine in buggy
> situations and sarge will be stuck for a long time with 4.3.0.

I am not a DRI expert and don't really use it much (guess I'm kind of
boring).

That means I'm not the best person to undertake a project of this
magnitude.

What would be ideal, in my opinion, is someone willing to shepherd an
update to DRI into our 4.3.0 packages.  This work could take place on a
branch in the Subversion repository and merged onto the trunk when it
was finished.

I can even set up the nightly dump scripts to export the branch, so it's
easy for people to build packages from the branch.  (Well, even easier
than svn checkout or export, which aren't hard.)

All we really need is a volunteer.  Someone with some skill, some
dedication to testing, and a craving for glory.  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      Why should I allow that same God
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      to tell me how to raise my kids,